High Cube Container: Size, Dimension, and other Specifications Explained
High Cube Container has changed the way people traded earlier. It has brought a revolution in the container trading arena.
Shipping boxes have been around for many years helping people with their cargo and storage problems. Earlier it was difficult for shippers to send their cargo to distant places as they didn’t have the facility for shipping containers but the invention by Malcolm McLean has changed the facet of how the shippers transported and stored their goods.
Today, you can use containers for transporting and storing cargo, and for construction purposes as well. They are being widely used today as home solutions, emergency hospitals, public toilets, kids’ zone, swimming pools, dine-ins, and in many other innovative ways. They are being extensively used for construction purposes because they are highly durable, provide wind and watertight quality, and can be shaped in other structures by removing the sides of the boxes. For example, Double door containers are the boxes that are being used as makeshifts tunnels as they are fitted with doors on both ends. By removing doors these give a perfect structure for tunnels. Like wise, high cube containers have their own advantages as they are extremely good for extra-heightened cargoes.
Now, let’s look in detail about High Cube
High Cube container comes with an added height of 30cm. Though in appearance they may seem the same when you look from front or back, their appearance seems like a cube; that is how they get their name. They are also called by other names like High-Cube, HC, or HQ. They have steel or aluminium body that gives them sturdiness.
These boxes are suitable for transporting all types of dry merchandise and other perishable or non-perishable products. Due to their added height, they are best for carrying goods that cannot be shipped in standard boxes due to height restrictions. Open top HQ is the best for storing cargo that doesn’t fit in standard boxes as they provide extra space.
Design and Structure
A high cube is constructed in the same way as other standard containers. These are made of high-quality corrugated steel so they provide durability to the freight containers. But they are 30 cm higher than other standard containers. This extra 30cm gives extra room for you to load your box with more goods.
Given below is a list of the various kinds of cargo containers that are used widely. You can get detailed information on any of these just by clicking on the name of the type of containers you are interested in.
1. Dry Van
2. Pallet Wide
3. Double Door
4. Side Door
5. Open Top
6. Hard Roof Open Top
7. Flat Rack
Different dimensions of HQs
They are available in different (Containers) dimensions of 20ft, 40ft, and 45ft. as 20 high cube containers, 40ft high cube, and 45’ high cube open top container to cater to the need for extra storage and heavy cargo.
External dimension: 6058mm (Length) | 2438mm (Width) | 2896mm (Height)
Internal dimension: 5898mm (Length) | 2344mm (Width) | 2695mm (Height)
Door opening: - (Length) | 2330mm (Width) | 2578mm (Height)
Cubic Capacity: 37.28 Cubic metre
External dimension: 12192mm (Length) | 2438mm (Width) | 2896mm (Height)
Internal dimension: 12032mm (Length) | 2344mm (Width) | 2695mm (Height)
Door opening: - (Length) | 2330mm (Width) | 2578mm (Height)
Cubic Capacity: 76.4 Cubic metre
External dimension: 13716mm (Length) | 2438mm (Width) | 2896mm (Height)
Internal dimension: 13556mm (Length) | 2340mm (Width) | 2695mm (Height)
Door opening: - (Length) | 2340mm (Width) | 2585mm (Height)
Cubic Capacity: 86.0 Cubic metre
What are the uses of High Cube?
- These are perfectly suited for the cargo that is heavy, needs extra space, or of extra length. They can accommodate tall cargos as their roof is high.
- Same as dry van containers, you can stack them up with all types of dry cargo. These are also known to provide the best storage solutions. Be it for shifting your home materials to large size machinery, they prove to be immensely useful.
- They are used for home renovation purposes as well. You can convert them into homes, modify them as swimming pools or make offices or cafes out of them. You can surprise your kids by converting these into kids’ zone. They are also being installed for public conveniences, modelled into emergency hospitals as they are easy to move and install while needing very low maintenance.
Benefits of HQ
High cube containers offer many benefits due to their durability, versatility, strength, and other such qualities.
- Durability: As they are made of corrugated steel, they are sturdy and provide durability to the shipping boxes.
- Wind and Watertight Quality: They are made to withstand extreme weather conditions and climate, and safeguards your goods from rain, heat, and cold.
- Extra Space: You are free to load more cargo in them as they provide more space than standard containers. This happens because of their extra height.
- Renovation: Because of their high ceiling, the extra space provides the solution of adding a false ceiling. By adding a false ceiling, you can easily renovate your container with air-conditioning, heating, or use it for ventilation purposes a well.
- Storage: That extra centimetre solves your problem of keeping tall items safely. Items like furniture, machinery, or craft supplies can be stored in them without worrying about getting damaged.
Challenges of HQ
Though High cube containers provide you with bountiful advantages, they come along with some challenges as well.
- These are higher than other boxes so you cannot just place them anywhere. You have to look for a space that is high and can easily accommodate it.
- To keep things inside, you need a special chassis or wagon so that you can move your goods. Without it, there could be problems in loading the cargo.
- When your shipping container is on move, you have to keep height restrictions in mind while crossing the bridge or tunnel via road or rail. Because of their taller height, they need extra care while moving.
The confusion of whether to buy a high cube container vs standard container has been very common among buyers. This mostly depends upon the cargo that needs to be shipped. Standard containers can carry almost any type of cargo and are enclosed from all sides. They are wind and waterproof and can be trusted upon to transport cargo to any location in the world. High cube containers on the other hand, although are similar to standard containers, but offer an added feature, height. The cargo that is extra in height and cannot fit into a standard container can be easily transported via a high cube shipping container.
High cube containers solve the extra cargo problem. If you are looking for a container that could provide extra space to fit all your cargo, then HQ offers the best storage container solutions. At LOTUS Containers, avail the right shipping containers for all types of cargoes. No matter what place of the world you live in, our global presence and 24 hours active customer support team can reach you anywhere anytime. Get in touch and we will be happy to simplify your container acquisition.